Thursday, January 26, 2006

More John Wayne

Apparently it's been quite a news day for John Wayne (see my previous post for more). In today's New York Daily News, columnist Richard Cohen compares today's Democrats to the legendary Hollywood cowboy, and the Dems are the ones smelling like horse manure.
The latest poll is not good for the Democrats. I am not talking here of the one showing George Bush's approval rating inching up. I'm talking about the recently released Harris Poll showing John Wayne, one of the most popular movie stars of 2005. The one thing he and the Democratic Party have in common is that they are both dead.

Wayne was the quintessential anti-Democrat. Everything he stood for - from support for the Vietnam War to antipathy to the '60s and '70s counterculture - was in consonance with GOP positions. More important, though, his iconic man-on-horseback image has been adopted by virtually the entire Republican Party.
As Mr. Cohen closes, "The Duke is still king." Long live the Duke!

2 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

One of my top five movie lines is from a Wayne flick (can't remember which one). Wayne says to a guy, "I ain't gonna hit ya. I ain't gonna hit ya. The heck I'm not!"

1/26/2006 5:02 PM  

Blogger Songbird said...

One of my favorite MASH scenes is the one where Radar does his impersonation of John Wayne with the above lines, then gives a little shrug and flashes that boyish grin. Classic Radar!

I'm not positive, but I think the Radar quote was a bit of a misquote of a line in McLintock: "I haven't lost my temper in forty years, but pilgrim you caused a lot of trouble this monring, might have got somebody killed... and somebody oughta belt you in the mouth. But I won't, I won't. The hell I won't!"

Good movie, great line!

1/27/2006 6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home