Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Giving Up on Sudan?

There was an interesting op-ed piece in the Dallas Morning News over the weekend about recent happenings (or lack thereof) at the United Nations regarding the situation in Sudan.
The U.S. ambassador to the U.N., John Bolton, caused quite a little dust-up the other day by expressing disinterest in hearing a parade of reports on the deteriorating situation in Darfur. His point, he said, was not that the U.S. doesn't care, but that it cares enough to insist that it's time for action, not just talk.

Recent events in Darfur show how terribly right he is.
Just as they have done countless times in the past (as with Saddam Hussein in Iraq and so many other potential and actual crises), the U.N. is much more interested in talking about the problem than in doing anything to help resolve the issues. Bolton, on the other hand, suggests that a crackdown on the flow of weapons into the country is needed. A recent report from the World Market Research Centre states that without "an expanded international input in Darfur, it will be all the more difficult to reverse the recent renewed violence and lawlessness."
“Action,” that’s the key. An action is worth a million words.
Hmmm. An op-ed piece agreeing with Bush's UN ambassador pick and urging for action? Makes you wonder how this article ever made it past the editor's desk!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ree-C Murphey said...

Songbird:

I love your material! I found it via LoneStarTimes.

I have always been very concerned about Darfur. It is so crazy that the U.N., refuses to call what is going on by name, otherwise it would be required to do something about it! (That being GENOCIDE.)

I wish I had thought about that as a kid. I never would have been required to clean the house, because I never would have seen it as dirty.

I can hear it now:

Me: I don't need to pick up that paper off the floor. That's, uh, decoration, yeh that's it. I don't pick up decorations off the floor, only trash.

Parent: It's trash. Pick it up off the floor.

Me: It looks like superfluous placement of paper, forming a rendition of modern art that could be identified as decoration. I don't have to pick up decoration, only trash.

Yeah, I am an idiot. Of course, if I would have tried that I would be dead now too. :)

Keep it up Songbird...... I plan to come by again!

10/19/2005 10:28 PM  

Blogger Songbird said...

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, I can just imagine trying your scenario on Pops. (Never would have tried it on Ma'am -- for a sweet and kind little lady, she can really pack a wallop!) With Pops, that would have probably landed me on roadside duty picking up EVERYONE's trash or something.

Thanks for dropping in, and please feel free to visit often!

10/20/2005 8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home