Friday, July 07, 2006

Celebrating Independence

I just read the best 4th of July post I have ever seen, and wanted to share it with my own friends and readers. Blogger "FLYTHEMIG29" of Those Wacky Iraqis has been there, done that, and really understands the reason we celebrate Independence Day. Please take the time to give this post a good read.
To me the 4th of July has become intensely personal. ... It was the best 4th of July I could imagine. Nothing public, just the back yard. Everything I need in the world was in that back yard. Everything our founding fathers dreamed of was in that back yard. The reason we are in the fight in Iraq was in that back yard. Yep, it was the 4th of July all right and it was just what I needed.
An intensely personal and exremely educational post, I have already emailed it to the several employees and co-workers who expressed dismay at the simple, private holiday celebration I described from the Songbird household this year. No parades, no fireworks, no loud parties or raucous houseguests. Just family, homecooked food and a lot of good ol' togetherness, with a rash of thankful prayer mixed in for seasoning.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home